Townsville Airport and Townsville City Council wish to advise the extension of Meenan Street will be opened to vehicles at 11am on the 3rd September 2020, streamlining the entry to the airport by creating uninterrupted traffic flow to the precinct via John Melton Black Drive. Summary of road network changes:
- The route for those coming from the city will not be changed. If coming from Garbutt, traffic will continue along Meenan Street, pass Halifax Street and turn left at John Melton Black Drive.
- Traffic will not be able to turn right from Meenan Street to John Melton Black Drive, or left from John Melton Black Drive to Meenan Street.
- This is designed to limit traffic on the airport road network to vehicles accessing the airport precinct, and stop the route being used as a shortcut between Garbutt and the city.
- Halifax Street will only open to residents.
- When leaving the airport precinct, drivers will also use John Melton Black Drive - continuing towards the city or turning right into Meenan Street to drive towards Garbutt. This project commenced in October 2019.
Funding was delivered by Townsville Airport and through the Australian Government's Building Better Regions Fund, which Townsville City Council applied for.