PLANNING ACT 2016
PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO PLANNING SCHEME POLICY – CITY OF TOWNSVILLE PLANNING SCHEME
SECTION 22 OF THE PLANNING ACT 2016
Townsville City Council proposes to amend a planning scheme policy.
The purpose and general effect of the amendment is to amend SC6.4 Development Manual Planning Scheme Policy, in order to:
- make the policy more user friendly to improve efficiency;
- improve application review times and therefore reduce assessment timeframes;
- improve safety in the design and delivery of cost-effective, sustainable infrastructure which is suited to the dry tropics climate;
- improve consistency in the level of service that Council can financially sustain; and
- maintain up-to-date standards and processes to ensure that the policy remains relevant and accurate.
The changes proposed to be made to the policy include the following:
- The existing policy has been reorganised under twenty-four discrete disciplines. All relevant information is combined under each discipline heading;
- Development application guidelines have been expanded to inform applicants of all information required to be submitted;
- Specific new sections include “Active Transport Infrastructure”, “Geotechnical Investigations” and “Structures”;
- Additional requirements include:
- An expansion of the qualifications required for suitably qualified persons to undertake various investigations and design;
- Updating of street lighting requirements;
- Additional biosecurity requirements;
- Updating of Erosion and Sediment Control requirements;
- Clarification of requirements for the design and manufacture certification of Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP) pump stations;
- A requirement for geotechnical investigation to be undertaken at the commencement of design of urban residential development;
- A change from using “Supervising” engineer to “Inspecting” engineer.
- General formatting and administrative corrections throughout the policy.
Copies of the proposed amendment to the planning scheme policy are available for inspection and purchase at Townsville City Council’s Customer Service Centre, ground floor, 103 Walker Street, Townsville. Copies are also available for viewing and downloading at townsville.qld.gov.au.
Further information regarding the proposed amendment can be obtained from Council's Land Use and Urban Design Unit on 13 48 10.
Any person may make a submission regarding the proposed amendment. The requirements for making a properly made submission under the Planning Act 2016 are as follows.
The submission must:
- be signed by each person (the submission-makers) who made the submission;
- be received during the period fixed under the Planning Act 2016 for making the submission;
- state the name and residential or business address of all submission-makers;
- state its grounds, and the facts and circumstances relied on to support the grounds;
- state one postal or electronic address for service relating to the submission for all submission-makers; and
- be made to the Townsville City Council, 103 Walker Street, Townsville QLD 4810.
Written submissions on the proposed amendment may be made to the Council during the consultation period which commences on Monday 1 August 2022 and finishes at 5pm on Friday 26 August 2022. Submissions must be made within this period.