Cape York Land Council (CYLC) will hold a pre-authorisation meeting on Tuesday 16 August 2022 in New Mapoon for the Gudang Yadhaykenu Native Title Group to consider whether to authorise a proposed agreement for a determination of native title for the area shown on the map below.
A determination of native title involves a decision of the Federal Court. Important things about a determination of native title include that the Federal Court determines (1) who holds native title, (2) what the native title rights are, (3) the area to which the native title rights apply after any determination is made, and (4) which corporation will represent the members of the determined native title group. If the meeting on Tuesday 16 August 2022 authorises the proposed determination of native title, the determination will then be sought in the Federal Court. The Court has listed a hearing for a potential consent determination for the area shown on the map above, if there is to be a consent determination, in the week of 3 October 2022.
Who is invited to attend the meeting?
The meeting is open to all descendants by birth, or adoption in accordance with traditional law and custom, of one or more of the following apical ancestors:
1. Wymarra (Wymara Outaiakindi)
2. Tchiako (aka Chaiku/Chakoo) & Baki (siblings)
3. Peter Padhing Pablo
4. Mathew Charlie Gelapa
5. Annie Blanco
7. Woonduinagrun & Tariba (parents of Tom Redhead)
8. Charlotte (spouse of Billy Doyle and Wilson Ware)
9. Pijame and Daudi (sisters)
10. Mother of Thompson Olwinjinkwi
11. Nara Jira Para
Any person who is a descendant of one or more of the apical ancestors listed above is invited to attend this meeting. Please contact CYLC if you would like to confirm whether you are a descendant of one or more of the apical ancestors listed above and so entitled to attend the meeting.
The meeting will be held as follows:
Date: Tuesday 16 August July 2022
Venue: New Mapoon Hall, 81 Brown Street, New Mapoon QLD
Time: From 5:00pm
Video-conferencing and COVID-19
Video-conferencing facilities will be made available at the meeting. If you would like CYLC to arrange a videoconference from your location into the meeting, whether you live at the location of the meeting or elsewhere, please contact CYLC on the number below. Attendance by video-conference is offered because of the potential for the COVID19 emergency to interfere with attendance. It is important to provide every opportunity for persons entitled to attend the meeting. Your safety is our priority. CYLC will take whatever means necessary to protect the health and wellbeing of its staff and clients and to mitigate the risk of the spread of COVID-19.
Purpose of the Authorisation Meetings
The purpose of the meeting is to decide whether or not to approve the proposed agreement for a determination of native title for the area shown on the map above. The agenda of the meeting will be to consider whether the persons present:
• agree and adopt a decision-making process;
• agree to the proposed agreement for a determination of native title;
• decide to incorporate a proposed corporation to represent the native title holders identified in the proposed agreement for a determination of native title;
• if a decision is made to incorporate the proposed corporation, make a decision (1) to approve the rules of the proposed corporation, (2) to identify who will be the initial directors and contract person for the proposed corporation, and (3) to authorise one or more named persons to apply to the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations to register the proposed corporation;
• agree to nominate the proposed corporation once it is registered, or, nominate an existing corporation to be the corporation to represent the native title holders identified in the proposed agreement for a determination of native title (called a “prescribed body corporate”);
• authorise the Principal Legal Officer of CYLC to nominate the proposed corporation, once it is registered, in writing to the Federal Court for it to be the prescribed body corporate under s.57(2)(a)&(b) of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) for the proposed determination of native title
To register your interest in attending this meeting or to enquire about travel assistance, please contact Jayd Copelin at CYLC on free call number 1800 623... or by email email@example.com no later than Tuesday 9 August 2022. Note that there is limited funding available for travel assistance. If you have queries about this meeting, please contact Caleb King on 0427 128... or firstname.lastname@example.org.