Find something curious…
1. That pursuant to section 163 of the Local Government Act 1989, Council declares a Special Charge (Promotional Fund) for the Sorrento Activity Centre to defray marketing, promotion, township management, business development and other incidental expenses associated with the encouragement of commerce.
2. That the Special Charge remains for a period of seven (7) years from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2026 after which time the Special Charge Scheme (Promotional Fund) will be reassessed.
3. That the Special Charge boundary and properties affected by the charge are:
• 19-23 and 10-16 Constitution Hill Road;
• 1-13 Cooper Grove;
• 25-37 and 24-38 Darling Road;
• 1-19 Esplanade;
• 1-9 George Street;
• 1 and 2 Hayes Avenue;
• 1-15 Hotham Avenue;
• 35-47 and 46-60 Kerferd Road;
• 836-854 Melbourne Road;
• 2-6 Morgan Avenue;
• 1-163 and 2-174 Ocean Beach Road;
• 3278, 3285-3335 and 3360-3382 Point Nepean Road;
• 2-4 Ruth Avenue;
• 1-7 Stuart Avenue;
• 12 Riley Lane; and
• 2-3 Watts Road.
4. That the charges to properties for year one are to be as follows:
• $956 for all properties with ground floor frontage on Ocean Beach Road; and
• $533 for all other properties.
5. That the charges given above will be fixed for the first two years to match the last year of the previous scheme and thereafter will incur an annual three percent increase from years three to seven of the Special Charge Scheme (Promotional Fund).
6. That property owners/and or tenants may apply for an exemption if:
• A single business using the same Australian Business Number and trading name is located in two or more contiguous rateable properties, then the business would only incur one charge; or
• A tenant is a charitable or not-for-profit organisation and provides a certificate of its charitable status, then the property would not incur a charge;
• A property is used solely for residential purposes.
7. That the Mornington Peninsula Shire will absorb all administrative costs associated with the implementation of the Sorrento Special Charge Scheme.
8. That in declaring the Special Charge Scheme, Council is performing functions and exercising powers relating to the stimulation and facilitation of business development and local employment opportunities; in particular the encouragement of economic activity within the Sorrento Activity Centre.
9. That the total maximum annual cost of the Special Charge Scheme is $178,000 made up of the levy ($160,000) and Council’s administrative costs ($18,000). The maximum total amount that may be levied from liable properties over the seven-year period for which the Special Charge Scheme remains in force will therefore be $1,120,000. 100 per cent of the amount levied on liable properties will be paid over to the Sorrento Portsea Chamber of Commerce for promotion and management of the Sorrento Activity Centre over the period of the Special Charge Scheme.
10. That the activities that may be facilitated as a result of the implementation of the Special Charge Scheme are considered by Council to be of special benefit to the properties and/or businesses located within the Special Charge Scheme boundary.
11. That the Special Charge will be levied by way of a Notice of Levy being sent annually to the property owner liable to pay the Special Charge. The Special Charge may be payable by four equal instalments or by one instalment payable each year in accordance with the rate notice.
12. That no incentives will be given for payment of the Special Charge before the due date, and non-payment of the Charge may accrue interest in accordance with Section 172 of the Local Government Act and standard Shire practice on non-payment of rates will apply.
13. That a right of appeal against Council’s decision to impose a Special Charge Scheme is provided under sections 185 and 185AA of the Local Government Act 1989. Applications for appeal can be made to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) within 30 days of this notice.